Friday, June 22, 2007

Street Lit

So this article was published last January in the NYT and it got me thinking and agreeing. On a side note, I also got to meet the wife of the author of this article at a book club meeting last July.

I actually stopped reading a lot of contemporary African American literature because of the trash that started getting put out there. The last few books I read were full of mistakes and grammatical errors, stories and characters that didn’t make sense and generally full of nonsense. To me these books glorified the street life, the drugs, the hustling, instead of portraying an accurate view of it.

One of my favorite books is probably the grandmother of street fiction- “The Coldest Winter Ever”. I remember reading it and enjoying the fact that this seedy underworld was portrayed in a book. After that I read a few of the newer street lit, before throwing them away in disgust. That being said, I have absolutely no problem with books written about life on the street, about crack, cocaine, pimps and ho’s and what not. I’ve read most of Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim’s books and enjoyed them. The difference is the books were real. They kept it real- telling real stories AND they were well written with coherent story lines and such. Not only was that, the purpose of the aforementioned books was never to glorify, but to tell the story. The characters in Goines' novel were not extolling the glamorous virtues of being pimps, because in actually there is nothing glamorous about watching your back at all times only to usually be murdered in cold blood by a “friend”.

The argument that “as long as people are reading” and that “these books are a gateway world to reading” when you are talking about a certain sublet of the population- teenagers). The ones whose parents are actively involved or those who have seen first hand the true terrors and horrors of street life. Unfortunately, I doubt that it is this kids that are reading these books. The later is probably not interested in reliving past experiences glorified and the former are probably reading more traditional and classic fare, or at least the watchful eyes of parents to point out reality vs. fiction. The kids that are reading these books believe that being a hustler’s wife is glamorous and so is hustling. Never mind that most hustlers over the age of 40 (and their wives) are usually non-existent and the ones that are, have probably had some kind of change of heart (=conversion to Islam, usually in Jail). I also find it unlikely that many of those who read these books will go on to appreciate reading. Why? These books are pure and total drama. It’s like watching a soap opera. After reading books like these, when you pick up something more substantial (meaning not drama filled) - you will probably put it right back down because it doesn’t hold your attention. You are unable to appreciate good books and good writing (unless some college professor takes pity on your soul and works with you on the art of reading- thanks Dr. Lawson) this brings me to my next and final point- which is an argument in itself. These books are just bad writing, bad grammar and many other things I won’t say here in print form and they point the same view that Africans Americans fight in Hollywood- stereotypical.

So I don’t read street-lit, I detest it and hope that it a fad that will go away soon. Although it seems unlikely now, and according to publishers, it is just beginning to take off. So I’ve switched to reading other things. The bad part of it all is that decent African American writers are not getting there due- especially in book stores, where this trash dominates the shelves.

*Regarding “ The Coldest Winter Ever”, I read this at age 14 ( and 15,16), my goal in the next few months is to re-read it again as an adult and form an opinion at this age- 10 years later.

There a few street-lit books I actually recommend:

“The Coldest Winter Ever”

Anything by Donald Goines

White Lines- Tracey Brown

And that is where my list ends. I will not list others I’ve read and thrown away (literally- in the recycling bin they went). ers

* This is a rant about street-lit- I have an entire other rant about sex-lit (?), which also seems to be growing on the shelves.

No comments: