Monday, June 4, 2007

Kabul Beauty School


Kabul Beauty School-
Deborah Rodriguez

* ( 1/5)

The author Deborah Rodriguez annoyed the hell outta me in the book. Couldn’t finish it. Wasn’t surprised to hear the story about her on NPR about exploiting, setting up and leaving these woman out and the cold, to face death for her greedy actions – and the book isn’t that good. I mean listening to her moan and complain after her (Afghan) husband got his first wife pregnant is rather sickening (it would coincide with her birthday and their anniversary). I mean come on- you married a man with a first wife!!!! WTF!!!


Besides that ( which I could't get over), i just didn't feel anything when I read this book but boredrom and contempt. I see that this book is on the NYT list ( #28) and has good rating from amazon.com- I just don't see how. *Actually- this is America and I when I think of Iraq see how.


Far better is:

The Bookseller of Kabul" or even "The Kite Runner "if you want a legitimate book about Afghan society and culture. Even though KR is fiction it is still better than this. I actually learned a lot from it.( Speaking of which- the author”The Kite Runner’s” new books is awaiting me next week…..)

No comments: