Thursday, June 21, 2007

Flies on the Butter


Flies on the Butter

Denise Hildreth
***** ( 5/5)

The first thing I have to say about this book is a note to the publishers. Please do not put realistic looking flies on book covers. Had they been actually on the butter- that’s would have worked, but just randomly placed… well that invites people to interrupt you to tell you that there is a fly on your book.


Denise Hildrith's latest is a break from her Savannah from Savannah series (which I review the first two here and here). Rose Fletcher is on a thirty something lobbyist from Mullins, South Carolina. As she is on her way back home, she preps herself to deal with her family, particularly her mother, whom she hasn’t seen in ten years and to mull over the mess her life is and the rift between her and her husband. Told alternating in Flashbacks between her childhood growing up in the south and her current anxiety driving car trip, complete with “perfect” strangers who give her a little guidance and lots of blessings as she goes on her way.


I knew I would enjoy this book, don’t ask me how but I did. Denise writes with such feeling that you can understand exactly where Rose is and how she got there. I could feel her loss and her frustration at being out of control. I also enjoyed the nature of the book- each chapter alternating between her childhood and the present and I loved the “strangers” at the end of each “present” chapter. Of course I loved the southern feel on this book. In fact, I even went in search of some good ole boiled peanuts for myself ( man, how I missed those when we used to live overseas). The only thing that bothered me was that I didn’t feel we got the full story on what happened, what exactly it was that made Rose run. There was a lot of leading up to, some foreshadowing but the resulting story/ discovery lacked punch, kind of like the air going out of a balloon really fast. Denise writing is very touching and she was able to deal with some heavy subjects without making it feel to preachy. Her words felt the words coming from you favorite aunt or big momma, or Mamaw- soothing, soul stirring and just right. Aside from that, it was a great, touching story about whether or not you really can go home again.


*In the reviews I read (Publishers & Booklist also on Amazon.com), there was some criticism about contradictions (a child lobbyist- not wanting to have children, driving instead of flying ECT). I felt that those contradictions are what make Rose and what makes her so lost. Everyone is a contradiction in their own way and when you are on the run from your past or your demons or yourself- you usually ARE a big contradiction. Just think back to the last time you were confused, scared and running.

No comments: