Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Maxed Out: Book & Movie Review

Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders
James Surlock

Now presenting my first ever movie review ( in addition to the book review).


I actually had the movie on my Netflix queue before I saw the book at B &N. I decided to read the book first and then watch the movie when it was released. I read the book in early May and then watched the documentary last night.


The first thing I have to say is that the book is much better than the documentary, but the main reason I wanted to see the documentary was to put faces to the names and the stories and it didn’t really do that. The documentary gave us glimpses of the people and their stories but was lacking depth. In a sense the book was too.


I’d give the book about 3.5 or 4 stars the movie about 3. I ended
up slow-forwarding through parts of the movie that were didn’t feel relevant (mainly the First USA guys ??? and sometimes even the debt collectors). I was really disappointed to have ANY resolution to the people we met.


At least in the book we got a little more feel for the people involved.


My advice- read the book, skip the movie. The book as a lot more “umph”( even if you are a visual learner, I think you will enjoy the book a little more).

No comments: