Friday, July 20, 2007

Nearlyweds


Nearlyweds
Beth Kendrick
***** (5/5)

So this was my second book by Beth Kendrick this summer. I read tried to read My Favorite Mistake, but I just couldn’t really get into it* this one however was a totally different story and I read it all in one evening.


Nearlyweds is about 3 women who have their dream wedding one weekend only to find out weeks later that the officiant died before signing the marriage certificates so they aren’t legally married. To make matters even more complicated, the honeymoon period is long over and the women are wondering if this legal loophole isn’t a blessing in disguise. One evil step-daughter an even eviler mother-in-law, a crazy dog an self-insecurity are just some of the themes that makes Nearlyweds one of my favorite books of the summer.


First, I enjoyed it because it was an extremely original idea and interesting. The characters were varied and not all the clichéd characters you usually read about in chic-lit. The story is extremely fast paced and I got so into the book that I finished it in one evening. I really couldn’t put it down without knowing what happened to the women and their men. There were ups and downs, I was excited, happy, angry and sad, and in the end I was satisfied. I spent the evening reading a great book, with a great ending.


Sometimes I did wonder in the women were acting a bit childish and running away from their problems instead of facing it, but I think ms. Kendrick did a good job with character development and their history to make us really see the women’s side of the story. But I would have really enjoyed discussing that at a book club meeting to get someone's else take on the situation(s).


If you like chic-lit you’ll definitely like this book; however, even if you don’t care for the genre too much (but still enjoy it from time to time) you’ll enjoy it as well, because in my opinion it came off as a little more than just chic-lit.


*I think I couldn’t get into My Favorite Mistake because I was also reading Flies on The Butter and they had similar storied- women who ran away and were now reluctantly returning home to face something and blah, blah, blah. I’m really tired of that story line at the current moment.

No comments: