Friday, July 20, 2007

I’m saddened that book club # 2 has folded. Or at least our chapter.

Book clubs are hard, especially if it is not a close group of friends or group that is already bound together (i.e. sorority, church). This group started in the commuter bus I take to and from work. One of the women was an avid reader and we got to talking and last summer she asked me would I be interested in joining a Christian Themed- book club. I agreed, enjoying the idea of a more relaxed bible study setting.

She became a facilitator for Glory Girls and in November we had our first bi-monthly meeting. Our first book was Diva’s of Damascus Road, which I enjoyed and we had a pretty good turnout – about 7-9 women and afterward we went out to dinner.

That was out highlight- January there were 3 people, March just 2 and May no one showed up. I was the facilitator and no one arrived. I’m sure there a plenty reasons- people say they will come and they don’t , traffic and distance in a city like Atlanta to name a few. Book clubs are hard.

I found this one even more difficult because we had no say in the books. Although I have sat through many prolonged, heated discussions and votes on next months books, I still enjoyed the process. In this book club, the books were chosen by (drum roll please)… Walk Worthy Press, the publisher that facilitates Glory Girls. It’s frustrating to not be able to suggest these books to or to have any hope they will ever be read and I have not enjoyed the selections. I could name so many books that would have been better selections.

That sucks, doesn’t it? Most of the books were theirs and in my opinion a lot of good books, especially independent publishers don’t get a chance. For instance we never read a Kendra Norman Bellamy book and she has got to be one of the top 3 in Christian Fiction.

I’m sad to no longer meet and fellowship with the facilitator (although she did mentioned finding another group to join), however I’d rather start our own book club

No comments: