Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rise and Shine


Rise and Shine

Anna Quindlen

I waited awhile to get this book for paperback swap and I have to say this book was definitely worth the wait.


Rise and Shine is the story of two sisters Megan, a married mother of one, Katie Couric-esuqe morning show host (popular, lovable) and Bridget a single, dedicated social worker. One day Meghan utters something on air that changes her life and those around her. That’s the book in a gist. Check out the amazon.com for a better written one. I had trouble writing one, without giving away too many plot lines and this book is better going in blind.


My thoughts on the book:


  • The prose and insight was wonderful. I loved the introspection on NYC, her observations about class & race in NYC and the beautiful descriptions of a Jamaican vacation.


  • I loved the interaction between the sisters- it felt real, and I enjoyed reading it from Bridget’s (the younger one) point of view. (I’m the older sister).


  • I loved the characters from Leo (Megan’s son) to Tequila (Bridget’s secretary) Irving ( the boyfriend) and Aunt Maureen. They were likeable and familiar. Even Leo who sometimes sounded almost too good to be true.



  • Toward the last third of the book the plot got away from me a little bit. While the events were not completely unfathomable or anything likes that- they way they were brought together made me almost roll my eyes. However who am I to say it can’t happen? Up until that part the books is relatively fast paced and insightful. After that, I felt a little dazed.

  • I like endings where unanswered questions are answered and this one does that. Not necessarily neatly and perfectly but answered. I hate books where I am left saying “WTF does that mean”?

Overall : 4 and something stars. I enjoyed the book itself, the characters and the plot (minus the 3-4 penultimate chapters. I actually kind of skimmed through them, read the last chapter, and then returned to the ones I skipped to see if I missed anything, which I didn’t. A good read and an excellent addition to any bookshelf. It’s a mixture of intelligent chic-lit and little city lit ( books about the upper middle, upper class in NYC) This was my first Quindlen book and I am looking forward to more. This is one of those books I wish I could/would read in a book club setting and discuss it.


* Side note: I disagreed with so many of the reviews on amazon.com that my original review sounded like a defense of the book. This type review flowed much easier.

No comments: