Thursday, April 12, 2007

We Need to Talk About Kevin


We Need to Talk About Kevin

Lionel Shriver

I tried and tried to get into this novel and I couldn’t. The writing is weird. It’s written from the point of a view of a mother whose son hasn’t committed the unthinkable. I think she is writing the letters to her husband (estranged) and she talks about the past and what it’s like now. I got in about 20 pages and just couldn’t go on anymore. Why doesn’t she just leave town- start over some place else? If you finished it let me know. The writing is written as though is stream of conscious, her thoughts, like you are in her head. Which is nice, but hard to follow?


It’s a hot book. I waited for a while for it on Paperback swap, finally got and as soon as I posted it was gone the next day. If you liked it let me know. Maybe I’ll give it another chance…



Meanwhile I'll just keep waiting for Jodi Piccoult's newest, Nineteen Minutes, which is about a similar incident.

No comments: