Saturday, April 28, 2007

Book Meme

A Little about me through a book MEME

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
trade paperback. MM too small and flimsy- Hardcover to big and bulky

Amazon or brick and mortar?
amazon.com and PBS! There is nothing like coming home and seeing the box with the smile on the front porch. Plus before I buy a book, I check the rating/reviews on amazon.com. So I’ll see it in BN , go look it up on amazon.com, then go back to BN and buy it or sometimes I just buy it off Amazon.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?

Borders, because they have more sections- especially and African American section. However there not one near me L

Bookmark or dogear?

Bookmark but actually I don’t’ really do either. I hardly ever dogear.


Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?

- Genre then By author- so series stay together

Keep, throw away, or sell?!

Keep the faves -Trade the rest= PBS. Throw away never! (ok once when I became so overwhelmed with books. Also I donated boxes and boxes of books to the NOLA library after Katrina.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
toss aside

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
. remove

Short story or novel?

Novel. Even though I’m known for my short attention span, I’d much rather read a novel.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?

Anthology- but again not really by fave


Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
neither. Harry Potter sucks. What is the point and what is all the hoopla about?????

Like that damn razr phone. I just don’t get it.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?

Usually tired- and when I ride the bus- I stop when its my stop- even though at times I don’t want too and I’ve even forgotten.

Thanks -Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin J

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
dark and stormy night

Buy or Borrow?
depends on the Amazon rating J- I prefer to buy. That way I’m not constantly worried about keeping it sooo pristine.

New or used?
new- cause I like the smell. Used- cause my budget like the sound of that.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
book review- book reviews-book reviews.

Recommendations are tricky (unless its amazon.com) - it could be there favorite book and your worst nightmare... or their momma’s book. Awkward conversation. Also I have “eclectic tastes. And downing a book someone loved is hard.

Browse- nets good read sometimes- But only in genre situations (black or Christian bookstores and Borders) in BN it can quickly become a nightmare.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

Tidy ending- but sometimes it depends on how life is treating me. A cliffhanger for the doldrums. Tidy endings for the cliffhangers (of life).

Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading?
Bus reading anytime- morning/ afternoon reading on beaches and balconies in the sun in spring and summer (spring only after pollen season or I and the book will be green). Nighttime reading in bathtubs with classes of wine and good music.

Bathroom reading- anytime (LOL)

Standalone or series?
depends. I grew up on Sweet Valley and Babysitters Club, but I can’t think of any real good series now. Left Behind got old and ummm that’s it.

Favorite series?
childhood- BSC (The Babysitters Club) oh and The Ramona “series”

Now- E. Lynn Harris and his Raymond, Basil, Eva, Nicole stories

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

Depends on which group I’m speaking in- Chrisitan, Black or General

Favorite books read last year(s)?

§
2005-

o Something Borrowed- Emily Griffin

o The Myth of you and Me- Leah Stewart

o My Sister’s Keeper- Jodi Piccoult

o Girl Meets God- Lauren Winner

§ 2006-

o The Alchemist- Paul Coehelo

o By the River Piedra I sat and Wept- Paul Coehelo

o God’s in Alabama- Joshilyn Jackson

o The Kite Runner (??)

§ 2007-

o White Lines – Tracey Brown

Favorite books of all time?

§ The Bible- God et al

§ Flyy Girl- Omar Tyree

§ The Red Tent- Anita Diamant

§ The Alchemist- Paul Coehelo

§ Oh The Places you’ll Go- Dr. Seuss

§ Something Borrowed- Emily Griffin

§ Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury

§ Warriors Don’t Cyr- Melba Patillo Beals

No comments: