Saturday, February 17, 2007

Still Life With Husband

Still Life with Husband

Lauren Fox

*** (4.0ish/5)

This was a rather quick read for me. I don’t know why I am so preoccupied with books about people having and affairs, infertility/miscarriage- I’ve just finished one (Sweet Ruin, Love and Other Impossible Pursuits, Happiness Sold Separately- even Baby Proof to some a extent- just to name a few) and sometimes I feel as though this my favorite subject. I’m sure a therapist would have a field day with that subconsciones self diagnosis.

This one is about a wife and husband- the Ross and the divide that grows between them as they both want separate things. Kevin is ready for a move to the ‘burbs and a baby, while Emily is bored with their life and is not looking forward to either one of those things. Then she meets David Keller and he is everything that Kevin is (seemingly) not. Although at first she is not honest with him about her marital status, she eventually lets on and what follows is an intense affair with undesired (are there any other kind when affairs are involved- in this one you betcha) and disastrous consequences

I couldn’t really feel for the main character. Or maybe after reading Sweet Ruin, I had less sympathy for her. I felt she acted like a child – not stepping and dealing with her problems and feelings. Sleeping with another man will not make them go away. However, it was still a good read. I really enjoyed her relationship with Meg, or at least how Meg was portrayed. I was kind of actually more interested in Meg- than in Emily. Maybe her next book will focus on Meg? As for the ending, I’m not so sure what I think about it- I guess it was expected and but not how I pictured it would end.

No comments: