Thursday, February 1, 2007

Reading Lolita in Tehran


Reading Lolita in Tehran- A Memior in Books

Azar Nafisi

I bought this book in August of 2004, as I was preparing to take a class on Arabic Literature; the teacher mentioned this book as something I might enjoy. I started reading then, but unfortunately I have not finished.


The author takes you an a autobiographic journey through her life amidst the Iranian revolution and its aftermath, but she parallels her experiences with or to other well known books such as Lolita, Pride & Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and Washington Square. When I tried to pick up this book again 2006, I decided that maybe I would appreciate it more if I actually read (or re-read in the case of Lolita and P & P) the books listed.


I haven’t done that. For some reason I just cannot finish this book. Everyone raves about how great it is, but I just haven’t finished it, however I vow never to give up on it. I started reading it again last week while I was waiting for my newest book to arrive- Still Life With Husband. unfortunately as soon as the UPS man delivered my package, this went back into my car. I keep it there in case I get stranded somewhere ( waiting for someone or something- not broken down- knock on wood) and am forced to read it as I wait. As of now- I'm about half way through( although I imagine i've skipped parts)


One day I will finish this book.

No comments: