Monday, August 28, 2006

Gods in Alabama


Gods in Alabama

Joshlyn Jackson

I picked this book up during a business trip. I wondered into the Books- a- Million near my hotel and this was one of the book club selections. When I picked up this book the first sentence drew me in and I knew that this would be a good one.

“There are Gods in Alabama: Jack Daniels, trucks, high school quarterbacks, big tits and also Jesus”


Arlene Fleet left Possett, Alabama, and hasn’t looked back since. She has carved a somewhat comfortable life for herself teaching at a university in Chicago and she has a seemingly solid relationship with Burr. But when her past comes knocking at her door and a family gathering calls her to return to the place she left she is forced to come to turns with that fact that she has deals with all everything she thought she had run and gotten away from. Throw in southern culture complete with rednecks and the fact that Burr is African American and you get a very interesting read, one that takes you into southern society as it today.


This book was on the reading list for Christian fiction, although I wouldn’t really classify this as one, maybe more like the new “southern lit”. In any book taken place in Alabama, there are references to religion, but I didn’t’ find the book with pushing a heavily religious message or lesson. I think the lesson here stands out no matter what you do or don’t believe. But once again in the south religion Southern Baptists is the king. As a G.R.I.T.S, ( or raised elsewhere by souther parents) I enjoyed seeing parts of my culture- it felt like she was talking about the little town in Georgia where I’m from rather than Alabama. I was also real interested to see how she portrayed the interracial relationship and I felt that she did justice. She described her reaction and the what I've seen as the true reactions of his family and hers- espicially a white girl bringing home a northern black man.


I honestly loved this book. The story is fun, the characters are fun and they felt like people I knew. I felt at home reading this book. Overall, it’s a funny, poignant debut from a promising author. I am looking forward to her next book.

No comments: