Monday, May 7, 2012

Composing Amelia



Composing Amelia
Allison Strobel
3.5/5

Another repeat author for me, I really enjoyed her previous novel Heart of Memory which was a nook freebie some time ago and I was really look forward to this novel.
Composing Amelia is the story of a young, broke married couple- Amelia and Marcus who begin the novel living check to check in a cramped L.A. apartment, working three jobs as they each focus on building their dream careers. For Marcus, this career is a as pastor and Amelia hopes to become a renowned pianist. Both have agreed to look for jobs that will offer them both something but all that changes when Marcus gets the opportunity to interview for a coveted senior pastor position in…. Nebraska. Not just Nebraska, but a small town in the middle of nowhere. To complicate matters, Amelia has just accepted a position as a pianist in a newly formed theater group and finally feels as though she is on her way.
Both Marcus and Amelia balk at the turn of events and when Marcus gets the position they decide on an un-easy compromise that turns out to be much harder than it sounds- Marcus goes to Nebraska and Amelia moves in with friends to continue her new gig. They will re-evaluate in 3 months after the opening of Amelia’s first show. What happens next begins Amelia’s downward spiral and struggle with depression and anxiety. Even a reprieve of moving to Nebraska with  Marcus can help Amelia and as she continues on a downward spiral, Marcus caught up in his own spiritual struggle must step aside and help his wife with her own.
This book had several plot twists that I didn’t particularly care for and in my opinion didn’t really fit in with the storyline. I did enjoy the struggle that was portrayed as Amelia and Marcus struggled to find their callings and battle the demons and ghosts that haunted them. I found that struggle really unique and accurate in the way it was portrayed.
Overall, I give this one 3.5 stars. Good overall story, but I feels as though there were some “holes” in the story ( which I explain after the spoiler alert).
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

A
H
E
A
D


********Spoiler Alert*******
By one main issue with this book, and it was pretty big for me was the way in which Amelia suicide attempt was handled my Marcus. IF he felt strong enough to go hide all potential items but not enough to say anything just seems so phony, especially considering Amelia was pregnant with their child. Without the pregnancy, that would seem somewhat more plausible but to me it didn’t ring true. Also, the fact that there were no repercussions for Amelia's suicide attempt while pregnant seemed suspect.  Even with the mental illness, I suspect that there would be something more than just medication.
That brings me to the 2nd point, the pregnancy plot twist seemed out place. It was almost like an afterthought to the entire story- I think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more without it.

No comments: