Saturday, March 25, 2006

Best Kept Secrets


Best Kept Secrets

Rochelle Alers
***** ( 5/5)

Rochelle Alers is probably one of my favorite romance authors, even though I am not a huge fan of romance novels, I always know I can expect a good read when I pick up one of her books. I was doubly excited when I read the back of this one not only was it from one of my favorite writers, but it coved a subject I find interesting as an afro-Cuban/ afro-Latino heritage, culture and history. I just completed a course on it and Alejo Carpentier and magiacal realism So when I read the back of this book I new I had to have it.

M.J. Diaz (Marguerite Josefina) is a young, wealthy beautiful Cuban woman who enjoys the good life courtesy of her father. She however is not your typical Cuban woman of that time- educated, savvy and with a mind of her own, she gives her father his fair share of worries- especially when she is not interested in “just getting marred and settling down”. Then we meet Samuel Cole- a “negro” returning from WWII who has big dreams of starting a business He travels to several Latin American country finally sealing a deal in Cuba and gets a lot more when he meets the beautiful and charming M.J. They fall in love and get marries and Samuel brings M.J. back to the U.S. The book follows their lives together from 1924-1947.*

I loved this book for the imagery and the history of such a magical and enchanting place(s). I also loved seeing Cuba and afro-Latino heritage being a focal point of a book- especially such a beautiful, romantic story. Even if you are not a romance reader I still recommend this book as a great read! Don't let this book be a best kept secret! ( sorry I couldn't resist)


* Apparently this is the back story of one of Ms. Aler’s most popular series “Hideaway”. This was the first I read and I am planning to complete the series

No comments: